Afterburner Debriefing workshop
Led by: Rick "Dewey" White
To book this workshop, please
call us on +44 (0)845 257 0807
or e-mail to:
Who should attend:
This one day highly interactive debrief workshop is designed for service managers, front line staff and leaders responsible for creating a learning environment and improved results through the power of S.T.E.A.L.T.H.
1 day course
8 – 120 (Working in groups of 8-15
• Fully understand how to use the S.T.E.A.L.T.H Debriefing model to drill down to the root causes and produce Lessons Learned for successful and not so success business plans and objectives.
• Debrief and produce Lessons Learned for an actual company plan or objective with substantiated results.
Many organizations suffer from chronic execution failures because they are unable to learn from their mistakes. Individuals or small teams may learn lessons, but these lessons are rarely used in future planning or disseminated to other groups who could use the knowledge. Chronic failures never get resolved, opportunities are lost, and corporate cynicism is reinforced.
Fighter Pilots have a highly institutionalized ritual for learning as a group called Debriefing. Debriefing is not a “gripe” session; it is the deadly serious process of learning the lessons that will save lives on tomorrow's mission. Debriefing is so important that it is common for a mission debrief to last far longer than the mission itself.
In the Afterburner Debriefing Workshop, your team will learn the power of debriefing from real Fighter Pilots who have mastered the skill. This is not just an academic discussion! Using our “Demo-Do” methodology, your team, with the help of our Fighter Pilots, will actually Debrief one of your recently completed missions…. the results of a product launch, the latest Quarterly sales numbers, or the results of the marketing campaign…..and they'll walk away with an understanding of WHY the mission was a success (or failure) and what are the Lessons Learned that can be applied tomorrow's mission.
Topics / Content:
• Flawless Execution Review - Your team may have already seen the Flawless Execution Model, now its time to go a little deeper.
• In Depth Discussion Debriefing Techniques - Your team will learn about the STEALTH Debriefing Process and the techniques that will maximize its effectiveness. You will also learn about the different types of Debriefs and how to use them on the job in different situations.
• Tone - This is the part of the workshop where you turn concepts into action. Using a real Corporate Mission your team has recently completed, you will conduct a real STEALTH Debrief. With the coaching of an Afterburner facilitator your team leader will set the tone for the Debrief using Afterburner leadership principles.
• Execution - Your team will answer the question, "Did we meet our objective?, our primary objective?, our secondary objectives?" You will replay the timeline of events that occurred during the Execution of the Mission to set the stage for the in depth analysis in the next phase of the Debrief.
• Analyse Errors - Your team will identify each profit and loss of the Mission and the Cause of each. For each item, your team will drill down to the Root Cause and/or Recurring Root Causes behind each success or failure.
• Lessons Learned - Armed with the detailed analysis of the Mission , your team will identify the highest value Lessons Learned from the Mission . All of these Lessons Learned will be actionable items that can directly apply to future Missions or key processes in your organization.
• Transfer Lessons Learned - In this final segment of the workshop, your team will convert your Lessons Learned into a distributable format that can benefit the entire team in the next Planning cycle. You will also discuss how to institutionalize Debriefing throughout your team, department or division and standardize how Lessons Learned are distributed across the entire organization.
• Wrap Up - Concluding remarks and points to ponder.
Key Debriefing Workshop Takeaways:
· Delegates will gain a deeper understanding of the Flawless Execution Model and be able to use this simple, repeatable process to improve their business results.
· Delegates will have a working knowledge of the STEALTH Debrief Process and be able to use it to accelerate experience and eliminate recurring execution errors.
· Delegates will leave the workshop with a Lessons Learned Summary of their Corporate Mission that will be the basis for improving future missions.
· Delegates will leave the session with the confidence to do their own Debriefs and make this process part of their regular routine.
· Delegates will have the tools to make Debriefing part of their corporate culture.
£5000 + Vat for first group of 8 - 15 delegates. (£1500 + Vat for each additional group of 8 - 15)
Rick "Dewey" White
Rick ‘Dewey' White is an F-16 fighter pilot with over twenty-three years of leadership experience as a U.S. Air Force officer and business manager. He is also a pilot for a major commercial airline and a successful director of his own business.
With a military career encompassing 23+ years, Rick has flown missions all over the world. Starting his career as an instructor pilot, Rick continues as a member of the South Dakota Air National Guard. As a USAF staff officer, Rick supervised development of many advanced technology solutions to major weapons systems and also had key responsibility in determining the requirements of the USAF and RAF's next generation of fighter aircraft, the Joint Strike Fighter. He has achieved a number of awards and decorations for his service and leadership.
Rick holds a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and a master's degree in human resource management. He is a graduate of two U.S. Air Force professional military training schools and is currently enrolled in Air War College , a masters level programme on strategic planning. His continuing education also includes certificates in executive coaching and various leadership and team development programmes.